Why Are So Many People Working At Home? #WAH

Why Are So Many People Working At Home?

It appears there is an ever-growing number of people working-at-home these days.

But why is that?

I did a bit of researching and found several reasons why one would want to work-at-home.

• They were laid off or fired from their Corporate America job and need income.
  • Lack of good paying jobs in the Corporate America field.
  • To be able to stay home with their children and save money versus paying for childcare.
  • To become their own boss.
  • To have the Freedom to choose their own work schedule (hours/days.)
  • The ability to choose a field in which they are more passionate about (blogging, social media, freelance writing).
  • For mental health reasons including too much stress or drama in Corporate America.
The #Convenience factor plays a major role in those who are #workingathome. #wahClick To Tweet

There are so many more reasons that I could not possibly list them all but whatever the reason(s), I’m sure it’s viable to the one working-at-home.

I have many friends that work-at-home and really enjoy it. I thought I would ask a few of them Why do people want to work-at-home? Here are the results:

Ya Might LikeThis To --->  Is the Time Ever Right to Build Your Freelance Business?

Kita Bryant of It’s Really Kita

For those that work jobs. I think the drive to work-from-home comes in when you get tired of the commute, tired of going into a job that you can do from home. So many accidents and traffic could be minimized if bosses would allow people to work from the comfort of their home. I think the morale would be up, and people won’t have to take so much leave time. Your work gets out, and employees are happy.

Working from home allows you freedom. You can cut out a lot of stress by being able to eat healthier meals, be available for your kids if you have any, and it helps the sex life because you aren’t rushing into a job anymore you can be at peace.

On the flip-side, working-from-home can make one lazy and fat as in the case of me lol. Working from home isn’t for everyone though you have to be a person who knows your boundaries and able to follow a schedule.

Harleena Singh of Aha!Now and Harleena Singh.Com

Working-from-home gives you a sense of ownership, feeling of freedom, chance to prosper, and get rid of money and time wasters like commutation. Work-from-home jobs give you plenty of opportunities to use your hard work and extra working hours in favor of yourself. You can take out time and care for your family, work at your pace, and start your own business. Working-from-home has its cons too but if you are disciplined and determined, it can prove beneficial.

Cori Ramos of Not Now Mom’s Busy and CorinaRamos.Net

The majority of the people I’ve spoken with about working from home say they want to spend more time with their family and work their own hours.

As you can see, the individual reasons for wanting to work-at-home vary from person to person

Ya Might LikeThis To --->  If At First You Don't Succeed, Try and Try Again

Why I want to work-at-home

I have been in Corporate America too long. The ever-growing demands from my employer are damaging to my health. The mental strain that is caused by daily stress and drama does not seem to be worth it anymore. Employers, including mine, aren’t giving performance evaluations enabling an individual to receive a merit raise. Most of us are lucky if we get a cost of living increase.

If you take into account the mental strain, the time and money in transportation and gas to get to work, and the benefits, one may be better off becoming a Freelancer or Virtual Assistant.

I am striving to make this happen for myself. I am offering Services that range from writing blog content, providing social media assistance, simple web design, and virtual assistance.

I am building my portfolio as well as networking more with the right people who I know can help me find my way.

With time, determination, and a lot of patience, I know I will join the millions of others who are enjoying a career from their own home office.

I hope I will be able to share my story with you in the near future.

Ya Might LikeThis To --->  Landing Your First Client With Caution

Over to you

What possessed you to pursue a career at home? How long did it take you? Are you happy?

I’d love to hear your stories.

16 Comments on Why Are So Many People Working At Home? #WAH

1. Harleena Singh
    September 21, 2015 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

Congratulations and celebrations on your new blog 🙂

You are ALL out to get right there my friend! Awesome indeed – and I can see things gradually come into shape on this new blog of yours as well.

Thanks so much for the mention, and yes, nothings better than working from home. I think the freedom to be your own master always tops the list, though we need to follow a disciplined life and set our working hours – making sure they don’t clash with free or family time.

As I’ve mentioned in a lot of my interviews, I wanted to be there for my kids while they were growing, and thus left my full time job – and there’s been no turning back – nothing could be better I’d add. Yes, there are ups and downs with no certainties, but it’s a matter of time before you build your work platform and take it up from there.

I wish you the very best with your new innings and I am so sure you’d do wonderfully well. Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a nice week ahead, and see you back in the blogosphere very soon! 🙂

• Brenda
      September 21, 2015 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

Well, look who is back in action! You’ve been missed, Harleena!

Thank you for the congratulations. Without you and the others, I don’t think I would have been brave enough to launch my own business. You have shown me so many things to utilize that I’ll be forever grateful.

Freedom is huge! Being there for your children is a wonderful reason. I’m glad that you were able to do leave your position and create a work-at-home business that suits you and your family. As with everything we do, there will always be ups and downs, however, we need to remember to push through the difficult times.

Thank you for your kind words, Harleena. Are you ready to launch your new site?

Brenda

2. Corina Ramos
    September 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm (2 years ago)

Love this post Bren! It’s great to see the different reasons for wanting to work from home and every one of them is a valid one.

For me personally it was to be with my family but then it also lit up the secret dream of being my own boss. When I thought of running a business, I thought of brick and mortar. Never imagined I would be blogging for a living eight years later…but I love it :).

I wish you nothing but success in your new journey gf. I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more!

Have a great week gf! Talk soon. 🙂

• Brenda
      September 21, 2015 at 5:58 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Cori! I’m glad to have published the quote from you. I know there is much more you could have told me, but I plan on saving that for another time.

I remember what you told me about how you decided to go freelance. I think if one can do it and still continue to live a comfortable lifestyle, then go for it. I think it’s extra special when parents have little ones and a parent decides to stay home and work to raise the children. How admirable. Has it been 8 years already?

I’m taking baby steps my friend, but I have faith, I’ll find the way to my paradise just like Ryan and Kelli did.

Thanks as always for sharing with us! It’s almost Tuesday!

Brenda

September 21, 2015 at 12:34 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Bren.

I love the look of this blog! Working from home is becoming more and more popular as the work force conditions diminish or people are just getting fed up with it.

I started working from home many decades ago. I had run a few businesses way back. But my very first business was a shop in town but I still had to show up. I got so tired of that.

A few years ago I heard this thing from my husband. It was called a Blog. Seemed like a good way for me to work together with him. The rest is history. I been on line for around 4 years now.

I went from blogging to internet marketing to product creation which the later is my biggest passion. I love it! Yes, it is a lot of work and it is something where I have to constantly test myself with new things out of the box. Guess it keeps me young he he.

I like it because I can work from anywhere. I can choose when I want to walk in the sun if I like, and everything is up to me. Living the “laptop lifestyle” is amazing. But again, it is a lot of work. Hard work and much play keeps Donna out of trouble lol.

-Donna

• Brenda
      September 21, 2015 at 5:53 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Donna,

Do you really like it? I keep fussing with the colors. I’m so used to fancy and flamboyant, simple and professional is just something new. I’m sure if you like it, I must be doing it right.

I would love to hear the story of how David got started in blogging. Might have to stalk his website to see if it’s there. Good thing for him introducing you to blogging. Can you imagine life without it?

I admire how far you’ve come in such a short time. You have a huge following and are admired by so many. They say “No pain, No gain” so if working hard is what it takes, I’m in it for the long haul.

I thank you for all the support you’ve given me and sharing your story with us. Hope you are having a great start to the week!

Brenda

4. Elna Cain
    September 22, 2015 at 10:16 am (2 years ago)

Brenda,

Great post. I like learning how other solopreneurs decided to work from home. For me, the decision was simple – I had twins and day care would have cost me a fortune, let alone wear and tear on our old SUV.

So, I made the decision to stay home and look at me know! I have a thriving freelance writing business writing for top influencers. It’s great!

• Brenda
      September 23, 2015 at 12:11 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Elna! I’m so happy to see you on my site!

I think there are many like you, Elna. Parents that find staying at home with their children is more economically favored than spending money in day care, transportation, workplace attire, and more!

I know you have a great business and are fabulous as a mentor. You know I’m following your every step.

Thanks for stopping by my humble new site. I hope you’ll return soon!

B

5. Rob McDonald
    September 22, 2015 at 9:36 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Brenda, hope your having a wonderful week so far.

I love this post, as it really hits home with me about some of the reasons I would like to quit my day job, and just blog all the time.

I can certainly relate to most of these reasons. I lost my long standing job about 3 years ago, and was trying to get back to that level right away, and let tell you it is almost impossible to do that.

Companies want people to work for less and less pay these days, and it is often times harder, with age, to get that well paying job again during their career.

I was blessed to finally in the last 6 months to slowly get back to that pay level, but only after the 3 tough years.

I too am so tired of the corporate grind, and as time goes on, it is very unfulfilling to work for someone else. I hope that in the next few years, I will have some great success with this blogging thing, and be able to work full time from home as well.

You have some really great commenters here as well and they fully get the reasons and desires to work from home.

Again, great post and have a great rest of the week.

Talk to you later……

• Brenda
      September 23, 2015 at 12:09 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Rob! It’s great to see you again! I’m glad you enjoyed my post.

I’m sorry to hear about your job loss. I know you probably didn’t think it was a blessing at the time, but it’s opened many more doors for you in the now.

I’m hoping the your business will prosper in the years to come and you get to spend the rest of your career working in the comforts of your own home in your jammies. 🙂

Have a fabulous day, Rob!

B

6. Carol Amato
    September 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Brenda,

Great topic for discussion – near and dear to my heart, that’s for sure. 🙂

A huge benefit of working at home is flexibility of schedule, most definitely agree with that.

Just saving commute time, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, prep time for makeup, hair, dressing up, lunch money, etc. is enough to make it the goal of most employees in the workforce today.

LiveOps is hiring 5,000 agents, and lots of folks are jumping on the bandwagon, so opportunities are out there, even if it’s not ‘running your own business’ like those of us with online businesses are doing.

It’s a great way to transition, in my opinion. I did customer service for quite a while, and enjoyed it for the most part, but had a client that put me over the top with stress level (irate customers).

There are so many benefits, but some cautions too. If one isn’t naturally self-disciplined and organized, it’s a tough road to go down…

I was fortunate enough to be able to hit the ground running and go full time when I started my business almost 5 years ago. My husband was the main breadwinner so I wasn’t pressured in any way, which is nice considering the stresses that go along with learning a completely new business model in a new industry.

Thanks for the food for thought, Brenda, and I hope you have a great rest of the weekend.

Spreading the word…

Take Care,
    Carol Amato

P.S. Lovely site!!

• Brenda
      September 27, 2015 at 2:48 pm (2 years ago)

Hello Carol! I’m so happy to see you here on my humble business site. 🙂

You have shared some great reasons to work towards a work-at-home career. I’ve never heard of Live Ops so you know where I’m headed next! I perform customer service every day at my FT job and most of it is face-to-face. I’ve learned to bite my tongue many times and have mastered the art of making people smile or laugh even under duress.

I think some people would just like to work out the comforts of their own home. There is less stress and no workplace drama. This is what I’m shooting for. Even if I’m not my own boss, getting rid of the rest of the office place mess, is well worth it for me.

I’m glad you were able to prosper in your business. I see it growing day-by-day! It’s very admirable.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment on my site. You, as well as some others are an inspiration to people like me.

Hope you have a great week ahead!

Brenda.

7. Theodore Nwangene
    September 27, 2015 at 11:41 pm (2 years ago)

Grea question Brenda.
    I guess everyone has a particular reason why he prefers to work at home and these reasons might also be similar in most cases.

Yours is truly the most popular reason. Most people are actually tired of people bossing them around and they just decided to be on their own and that is a no brainer.

That is also my own reason as well.

• Brenda
      September 28, 2015 at 9:01 am (2 years ago)

Hi Theodore!

I’m glad to hear you say that about getting “bossed” around. Mine isn’t really that bad but I’d prefer to work-at-home whether I’m my own boss or not. I’m more productive at home due to less distractions.

Hope you’re having a great week so far!

B

8. Sourav
    April 17, 2016 at 3:15 am (2 years ago)

Hello Bren!

Even though I do a corporate job and don’t work from home, but I can understand and relate to all these reasons. The reason that would apply to me the most is convenience. That generalizes some of the these reasons too. Like, you make your own rules and follow them and not be bossed by someone else. Also, the convenience of working in a homely environment and staty close to the family members. And above all, not having to follow those strict hours.

Have a great day!
    Sourav

• Brenda
      April 18, 2016 at 5:38 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Sourav,

I, like you, still work in Corporate America. Like you mentioned, there are a lot of great reasons why one would work from home. The two biggest that come to mind for me is (1) convenience, and (2) be my own boss. Someday I’ll make it happen. 😉

Have a great week ahead and thank you for sharing with us!

Brenda