Virtual Assistants: We’re Not Your Daddy’s Old Secretary

Virtual Assistants: We're Not Your Daddy's Old Secretary

A Virtual Assistant can be many things to many different people. When I tell people I’m a Virtual Assistant or a VA as I like to refer to, they ask “What is that?

If you Google or Bing “Virtual Assistant” you’ll also find many different definitions, especially if you’re landing directly on a VA’s website.

Today I want to share with you what my definition of a Virtual Assistant is and what my role as a VA can do for you.

Defined

As defined by Wikipedia

virtual assistant (typically abbreviated to VA, also called a virtual office assistant)[1] is generally self-employed and provides professional administrative, technical, or creative (social) assistance to clients remotely from a home office.[2][3] Because virtual assistants are independent contractors rather than employees, clients are not responsible for any employee-related taxes, insurance or benefits, except in the context that those indirect expenses are included in the VA’s fees. Clients also avoid the logistical problem of providing extra office space, equipment or supplies. Clients pay for 100% productive work, and can work with Virtual Assistants, individually, or in multi-VA firms to meet their exact needs. Virtual Assistants usually work for other small businesses.[4] but can also support busy executives. It is estimated that there are as few as 5,000-10,000 or as many as 25,000 virtual assistants worldwide. The profession is growing in centralized economies with “fly-in, fly-out” staffing practices.[5][6][7]

This is a pretty good definition, however, with today’s technology Virtual Assistants are learning more and more impressive techniques making them more versatile than just performing Administrative duties.

Ya Might LikeThis To --->  Just When You Think It's Impossible, Remember, I'm Possible!
VA's: We're Not Your Daddy's Old Secretary! #virtualassistant #wahClick To Tweet

Check out this cool infographic I found!

Virtual Assistants - Need of the hour for Owners & CEO

by mike.

From Visually.

What I Offer

My role as a Virtual Assistant is vast. I also have a handful of collaborators that I work with in the event I:

• Cannot perform the tasks you require
  • Am booked to the gills with tasks and simply can’t squeeze you in
  • Sharing the wealth. Having a “team” in place is great when you can simply help out another Freelancer or VA, who really needs the income. Trust me, the women I collaborate with are fantastic!

As a VA, I wanted to focus on what makes me most happy and what I have vast experience with, such as:

To find out more about what each one incorporates, please Click on the link and read on.

Rates

You’ll notice that I don’t have Rates published on any of my Services offered.

Why?

As you may know, there isn’t a “bible” per say on what Virtual Assistants or Freelancers should charge. Some charge based on experience, whether they are new to the industry or are a veteran. Others may prefer to charge a monthly rate with a set amount of hours versus offering an hourly rate. A lot of the “packages” can also be customized to meet the Client’s needs.

Ya Might LikeThis To --->  An Ambitious Girl Boss will Always Shine

I like the idea of “Customizing”. Not every Client is the same nor do they need the same amount of tasks. So why not give them exactly what they want at a price they can afford? Personally, I think this could be a Win-Win situation for both parties.

Let Me Show You What I Can Do For You

Now that you know a bit more about me and what Services I offer, why not Contact Us to discuss what kind of Custom Package I can Design for you?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

16 Comments on Virtual Assistants: We’re Not Your Daddy’s Old Secretary

1. Dana
    February 19, 2016 at 1:33 pm (2 years ago)

Well, I for one know how dedicated you are to your passion, Brenda. It’s obvious you love what you’re doing – not only because of the quality of your work and skill set, but because you love it.

As someone who runs a blog, I know how time-consuming it is to write content, format it properly, promote it and network with others. There’s a lot to take into consideration – SO much to do and this is why VAs are necessary.

Glad to see you have this up and running.

• Brenda
      February 19, 2016 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Dana,

There’s my Coach with the mostest! Your words never cease to amaze me and continue to motivate me to push harder. I thank you for being such a great coach and support system for me and my adventure.

Can you imagine the day when you, Cori, and me all have Virtual Assistant’s for our businesses? Oh wow! That just put a huge smile on my face!

Thank you, as always, for your continuous support and for your friendship. Have a fabulous weekend!

Brenda

2. Nataly Auger
    February 19, 2016 at 2:51 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Bren,

I’m sure that you will do a great job as a VA, and I’ll do everything in my power to help promote your services. If you need any help, don’t hesitate to ask me.

VA is something that I would have liked to do, but unfortunately, I don’t have the energy to work two jobs, run two blogs (I recently started to run the veterinary clinic’s blog too) and I certainly can’t quit my day job for now. I admire you for doing all of this at the same time!

You explained the virtual assistant services very well, and the infographic is really well done. Thanks for sharing this, gf! Already passed it along. TGIF!

~Nataly

• Brenda
      February 19, 2016 at 8:04 pm (2 years ago)

I may take you up on your offer some time!

I know you’re very passionate about your career at the veterinarian’s office. You love your animals and are good with them. I think it’s fantastic that you are Webmaster for their website now. That is great! I’m sure you can show them a thing or two and make it better than it ever was.

I’m glad you enjoyed the infographic. I thought the facts were fascinating, no?

Have a great weekend, Nataly!

Brenda

3. Corina Ramos
    February 19, 2016 at 3:01 pm (2 years ago)

I can testify that a VA is a must when we’re running a blog. There is so much to do and a VA certainly helps us balance our work so we can focus on other aspects of the business like promoting and how to monetize it.

The infographic only proves that VAs are valuable. 🙂

I agree with what everything Dana says. You are passionate about what you do and it shows in your work!

• Brenda
      February 19, 2016 at 8:01 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Cori,

You know as well as I do how very important a VA can be to someone’s business, especially a home business. Even the CEO’s in large Corporations could use a VA to take care of the things their Executive Assistant can’t.

I thank you for your kind words, my friend. You are always there to support me and I’m forever grateful.

Have an awesome weekend!

Brenda

February 19, 2016 at 7:23 pm (2 years ago)

I think every online entrepreneur can use a virtual assistant. It’s one of the things that serious folks usually do when they’re ready to step up their game.

It’s almost impossible to get everything done by yourself, and even if you can, you’re usually wiser to focus on the things you do best. The things that you’re challenged by… let a VA step in and make it happen for you while you tend to the other aspects of your business.

I’m sure you are a great help to folks ready to reach the next level.

-Donna

• Brenda
      February 19, 2016 at 8:00 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Donna,

It’s great to see you here sharing your wisdom with us! I believe not only business entrepreneurs but bloggers as well could use a VA. Heck, I know I need a VA for my VA! There are so many things that a Virtual Assistant can help one with. Even if it’s as simple as managing one’s calendar or Twitter account. When I first started researching, I was amazed to see how many different roles a VA could play.

I’m super anxious to kick my business into high gear and be able to hire my own VA. 😉

Have a fabulous weekend, Donna! Hope you’re doing well!

Brenda

5. Barbara Charles
    February 19, 2016 at 10:15 pm (2 years ago)

Found this quite by accident. Yes, as we’ve discussed, a VA is a requirement, but finding the right one is hard. One thing I appreciated is your honesty and your integrity determining what is right for the customer and what can be done. I greatly appreciated that.

I wish you the very best.

Barbara

• Brenda
      February 20, 2016 at 9:50 am (2 years ago)

Hi Barbara,

By accident? I can definitely agree on “finding the right one”. As with any Client/Assistant relationship, there has to be “something” that cliques between the two. If either are standoffish or not trusting of the other, failure will be imminent.

I believe in being the best Assistant I can be and want my Clients to have a comfort zone with me. I want them to trust in me to do the task(s) at hand, not micromanage, and be impressed by the work delivered.

I have a vast background in Retail Sales, Customer Service, Customer Relations, and Supervision. Keeping your Client’s happy, keeps them coming back to you plus helps with getting referrals. However, that said I am also choosy about the Client’s I will work for. If I feel they are expecting too much or am not comfortable, I will decline their offer. It needs to be a mutual relationship in order to be a great relationship.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Barbara. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Brenda

6. Stella Chiu
    February 22, 2016 at 5:44 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Brenda
    Because I have followed you posts for a while, I am familiar with your style and knowledge base, I know you will do a great job as a VA. I will promote your services when I will have opportunities.
    Have a nice week!
    -Stella Chiu

• Brenda
      February 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Stella,

You’re so sweet. I really appreciate your kind words and support. You just don’t know how much it means to me. Please don’t hesitate to ask for help if and when you need it.

Happy Monday!

Brenda

7. Rachel
    February 23, 2016 at 3:33 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Brenda,

Big smile when I read – We’re not you Daddy’s old secretary. Got an immediate visual. A virtual assistant is what I’m aiming at in the future. I can’t wait to be able to get rid of some the daily tasks.

Your detailed description certainly gives me ideas of what I can off load, later on down the track. Very useful information for me Brenda. Thanks.

• Brenda
      February 25, 2016 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

Hi Rachel,

It’s great to see you here! I remember as a young child and calling my Father at work. His Secretary would always talk, talk, talk! I’m like, “I want to speak with my Father PLEASE!” Bless her heart, she was just a friendly woman, as I can see that now. However, back then, I saw her as a nosey ole bat. Bad, right?

Virtual Assistants come in many shapes and sizes. There isn’t one that does exactly the same things as the other. Some specialize in the Administrative aspects. Others, Web Design, Social Media, and more. Finding the right VA to help you is part of the fun! Might I suggest, be very cautious. Sometimes the “cheaper” price is not always best. Good luck in your hunt and please, let me know if I can help you.

Brenda

8. Nikhil Narkhede
    February 23, 2016 at 3:55 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Brenda,
    When the word Virtual Assistant pops us the only thing comes into mind is “Siri”. Though in the age of virtual office space and use of CRM softwares a virtual assistant is a must. Thank you for the valuable knowledge about this term in detail. My knowledge is increased.

• Brenda
      February 24, 2016 at 11:14 am (2 years ago)

Oh no, Nikhil! Siri? 🙂

I hope that I expanded a bit more on the nature of my Virtual Assistant and you can appreciate the value of one.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Brenda